Did you know that only 40% of travelers make an itinerary for their traveling? The other 60% prefer to take it easy and see where the wind blows them during their vacation. If you are in the middle of planning a family trip, the details you need to attend to and the money you need to spend are seemingly endless. If you thought planning a trip before kids was hard, you’re in for a treat. To help you out, though, here are three family vacation ideas on a budget.
1. Don’t Pick a Location Where Everything Comes with a Pricetag
Family budgeting ideas are often difficult to enact in certain environments. Cities like Boston, for example, are enjoyable, but many of the renowned museums and iconic locations, such as Fenway Park, will cost you money to enter. Your best bet is to find a place where many of the attractions are low priced or free. National Parks often have beautiful scenery, many places to go and things to do, without kicking too much at your wallet. Cities like Chicago, Quebec City, and Washington DC have a lot of low fee options. Multiple amazingly curated museums in DC, for example, have free entry.
2. Plan on Cooking Your Own Meals
Although we definitely recommend eating at least a few meals out during your vacation, you’ll save a lot of money if you rent a place with a kitchen and cook the majority of your meals. Leaving for the day? Pack several sandwiches and healthy fruit. Family budget recipes for dinner? Try a fun summer chili using black beans, red beans, corn, diced tomatoes, ground beef, and a packet of chili mix. Cheap, delicious, and goes well with a few rolls.
3. Don’t Assume Hotels are Cheapest
Often, the price of your vacation will often come down to lodgings. Bedandbreakfast.com, for example, can show you numerous options for cozy, family friendly lodgings in your city’s area. Worth considering for families less concerned about comfort are private hostel rooms and couchsurfing; couchsurfing.com helps you “surf” for an offered couch or extra room in the city you’re visiting. Another option? House swapping can often work out for people who are flexible and interested in seeing a city from a less touristy angle.
Do you have any family vacation ideas on a budget?